- 12 oz ripe tomatoes, as perfect as you can find them
- 2 cloves of garlic, divided
- 1/2 cup of sliced basil, julienned
- 4-5 tbsp good quality olive oil
- 4-5 slices of rustic Artisan bread (sourdough works perfectly here)
- kosher salt
Chop the tomatoes roughly into approximately a 1/4 inch dice. Place in a colander set over a bowl and season well with kosher salt. Allow to drain for 30 minutes.
Mince 1 garlic clove finely, and add the garlic to the liquid draining from the tomatoes. Allow to sit for 30 minutes.
Pour the tomato liquid through a fine-mesh strainer, reserving the minced garlic. Mix the chopped tomatoes, garlic, and basil together in a bowl with 1-2 tbsp of olive oil. Taste and add more basil if desired.
Spread the bread slices on a broiler pan covered in foil and brush lightly with olive oil. Toast under a broiler until JUST beginning to brown, but not burn. Remove from the broiler and rub the top of each toast with the other garlic clove. Top with the tomato mixture and serve immediately. Dress with a bit more olive oil if desired.